11 Silly Things You Probably Believed As A Kid

When we’re young, we get some pretty ridiculous ideas in our heads. Below are 11 silly things you may have believed as a child. Check out these near-universal beliefs, then feel free to list your own personal silly beliefs in the comments. I’ll start with one of my own…

1. All Cats Were Female and All Dogs Were Male

2. Stuffed Animals Came to Life When You Weren’t Looking

3. Your Face Would Freeze That Way

4. You Were Going to be a Famous Athlete/Celebrity/President

5. That Was Actually Mickey Mouse You Met at Disneyland

6. If You Couldn’t See It, It Didn’t Exist

7. Before the 1950s, The World Was in Black and White

8. Swallow a Watermelon Seed, and a Watermelon Would Grow in Your Stomach

9. Blankets Served as anĀ ImpenetrableĀ Barrier From Monsters

10. Wearing Superman Pajamas Made You As Powerful As Superman

11. If you were bad, you’d actually get coal in your stocking

This entry was posted in Original Content and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to 11 Silly Things You Probably Believed As A Kid

1. Jeff Wysaski says:

I used to believe that a specific spot in my friend’s yard was booby trapped with a landmine. Why? Because that’s what my friend told me. I was terrified of accidentally stepping on it…and hated playing in his backyard for fear of dying.

2. Elle says:

When I was little, I thought that women automatically got pregnant when they got married. I also thought B.C. meant “before calendars”.
    I don’t think I actually believed any of these things though… Except #6 because that’s just a baby thing.

3. Aoife says:

?
    I saw the title and thought “oh cool” then scrolled down and saw the cat dog thing and actually gasped thinking, “How did you know?” I really did think that, and I thought I was the only one! I used to think a few others too but that’s a great list!
    I also used to think that if you google “google” the world would implode. Not for long though, it was quickly dismissed when I was the only one of my friends who was brave enough to do it.

4. M says:

I thought sex was just kissing without any clothes on.

5. Dani Fontenot says:

i thought that if you drained the bathwater while sitting in the tub, you would get sucked into the pipes.

6. Everyone says:

Number 3, except I thought I’d gonna be a famous scientist who makes paradigm-shifting breakthroughs. Forever a Nerd…

7. Di says:

I still tend to think of dogs as male and cats as female unless I know otherwise. I didn’t know other people thought like that.

• Jay says:

I never thought about it until now, but yeah i think the same thing. Its pretty crazy, I really wonder how such a thing even got started.

• Skully says:

I automatically see a dog and go, “Oh, isn’t he just the cutest thing!” or go “She’s so pretty. Look at her eyes!” when I see a cat. Hmmmmm…

8. Aja Lake says:

my little brother is a number seven. me? number nine. i still sleep arms in. :)

9. FutureLint says:

New shoes made you run faster/jump higher.

10. Kelley says:

I really believed that there would be flying cars by the time I was a grownup. That hasn’t exactly panned out. Unless I’m not actually grown up yet…

11. Melanie says:

When I was little I thought, one day I’m going to wear a bridal dress and walk through town to pick a husband by ringing on everybody’s doors…

12. Florence says:

Pasta grow on a tree in italy

13. HHless says:

I still believe in #9!

14. LJ says:

I thought grill cheese sandwiches were called “girl cheese.” Thanks to my cousins, I also thought if you pressed your forehead against the TV screen and looked to the side, you could see the director…

• ds9stng says:

That’s brilliant. Im going to have to try that with one of my little cousins…

My mother also had me believing that when she put the pot plants in the bath to water them, it was because they’d already had their allotted time in the oven and needed to be cooled back down and rehydrated so they’d grow better…

made my day

15. meg says:

i STILL believe that blankets are impenetrable protection devices… well, they help guard against scary movies & bumps in the middle of the night, at least!

16. Cleo says:

My little brother, until he was 8, every time he got new pants or shoes he would say:”Thses make me run even faster! Watch!”

17. Kurissa says:

#2 for sure! After watching ToyStory for the first time all my stuffed animals took turns sleeping next to me at night so that none would feel more special or left out. That went on for a good year or so.

18. Sara says:

I believed that shell-shaped pasta shells were real shells collected from a beach somewhere, and when you cooked them in boiling water, that made them soft enough for me to eat. Yum!

19. Freud says:

what morons thought any of this? damn

20. Sarah says:

I believed that when you got married you got a free car that people decorated for your wedding day. I also thought that cars moved by the gas coming out of the tailpipe and pushing the car forward.

21. Haley says:

I believed that the state I lived in was the United States

• Carrie says:

I used to live on Orleans Street., but actually thought that I lived in New Orleans. I would argue my classmates too, like” You live in Detroit, but I live in New Orleans!” Five year olds think they know everything!

22. christine says:

When you played hide-and-seek, you were hiding for your life because the “it” was suddenly a dangerous evil being.

23. dogsandmovies says:

God

24. mindy says:

God, Santa and the Easter bunny

25. daffodil says:

My niece still thought the thing about the world being in black and white prior to the invention of color film…but she was 16!

26. mac says:

when i was little i always thought that carpool lane on the highway meant that the cars in that lane had pools inside of them…i always wanted a carpool!!!

27. Anne says:

I still worry about #3…..

28. Liz says:

When my sister and I were younger, our dad would constantly tell us that there were alligators in the sewer so when we could go walking, we would run away from the manholes.

29. Brittany G. says:

I used to think that the were little people inside traffic lights, that glowed Green, Yellow or Red.

30. roberta gabor says:

When i was little (that was a long time ago), I thought when
    it rained where I was, it was raining all over the world.

31. Margo Palmer says:

At a very young age, of course, I thought that fire engines went around starting fires because there was always one there at a fire. Makes good sense, really. . .

32. Cassie says:

Damn! I thought I was the only dumb kid that thought the world was black and white back in the day. lol.

33. Solb says:

My dad told me when I was little that there were dwarves, like the ones in Snow white, inside the center part of a carrousel making it go round, and I felt so bad for them.

34. Rachel says:

I always used to believe that everyone thought in English, no matter what language they spoke. So they would translate what they heard into English then think about the reply in English, then translate that to whatever language they were speaking.
    It makes sense when you’re little, because that’s how you think in other languages.

• Anne says:

I now realise that people don’t think in Dutch (yeah, I’m Dutch) but it still seems weird to me when I see a toddler speak *any-language-except-for-dutch-here*

I used to think that the blinkers on the car told people the exact location of where you were going.

• Jennifer says:

I used to believe that the blinker is what actually made the turn…all you had to do was turn on the blinker and the car would automatically turn when it got to the corner!

• Jo says:

I had thought that the blinkers (and other lights) just worked themselves… believed that one until my first time driving…

36. Chris says:

I used to believe a tooth fairy left a dollar under my pillow, a bunny rabbit left an Easter basket, a jolly man in a red suit left toys and an old man lived in the sky and kept up with billions of people at once and answered prayer requests.

37. Benny Hill says:

I believed that right at the stroke of midnight on Christmas Eve the animals could talk.

38. Heather Avery says:

My great grandmother convinced me the world used to be black & white. I believed her because I didn’t have a reason not to. I was too young to question the validity of remarks made by adults.

I was VERY disappointed in her when I figured it all out!

39. Allie says:

What do you mean by this – Blankets Served as an Impenetrable Barrier From Monsters. This is not a silly thing, it’s a serious thing and they DO serve as a protection from mosters. Get your facts straight.

40. Atrus says:

Mine was believing that there was a guy in a little room under the road at every intersection controlling the stoplights.

41. Starburns says:

I believed 2, 6, and 9. I was also terrified that the servers at restaurants were going to poison me because my mom complained a lot.

42. Laow says:

When I first heard of the underground railroad I thought there was an actual train that ran underground.

• Coolness says:

YES!!!!! I’m not the only one!!! I seriously had a test that went like this: “What is the underground railroad?” “The subway.”

43. Veronica says:

My childhood belief about rock bands: All the members of a band always lived in the same house, like roommates. But because they were rock stars, it was like an awesomely huge enough house that it wasn’t crowded.

44. NoctemOUT says:

I used to think that battery acid was an instant ticket to DEATH. Very black-and-white thinking, I’d been told that it was dangerous but I assumed even a little bit would poison you. It wasn’t a problem until I was at a friends’ house once and picked up an old toy that had old leaking batteries in it, I got one tiny drop on my skin that only burned mildly but I was convinced that it was seeping into my blood and it was only a matter of time before it got to my heart and killed me.

45. anavlis says:

I held the same belief about cats and dogs, but for me it makes sense, because in my mother tongue nouns have genres like in French. “Dog” would be a male noun and “cat” is a female noun so it become a reflex to think of a cat as female. I didn’t think this would apply to English speakers as well, that’s interesting.

46. Chloe May says:

I didn’t believe anything…I was such a cynical child.

47. Ma says:

Wow, I really believed some of that things! But the craziest I thought was that bread is made out of wood…

48. I used to believe that in old cowboy movies that when a bad guy was shot he was really dead and they got the bad guys from prison so it didn’t matter